In this episode, we are going to discuss strong willed kids. These kids present as defiant and defensive. Everyone seems to walk on eggshells around these kids.
Most likely, these kids have a highly sensitive nervous system. Smells are smellier, tastes are more intense, tags are scratchy-er, noises are noisier.When you have a highly sensitive nervous system, the world feels overstimulating most of the time and even more so during early childhood.
These kids are often exhausted from the overstimulation and irritable as a result. The adults in their lives often mistake their cranky behavior. These kids frequently feel misunderstood and behave defensively.
I have an interesting theory about these kids. I believe they are catalysts for change. I will teach you how to see your kid’s strong willed-ness as their super power.
Here are some pointers if you have a strong willed kid:
- Stay on top of basic needs: Sleep and nutrition.
- Get the sleep thing figured out. 10-11 hours a night of sleep is a necessity if you have a highly sensitive nervous system.
- Structure and exercise is important. Get them outside and away from screens.
- Solo sports like swimming can be phenomenal.
- See his point of view. Understand how he’s wired.
As always, thanks for listening, and be sure and head over to Facebook and you can join my free group Mastermind Parenting Community, where we post tips and tools and do pop up Live conversations where I do extra teaching and coaching to support you in helping your strong-willed children so that they can FEEL better and DO better. If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it!
About Randi Rubenstein
Randi Rubenstein helps parents with a strong-willed kiddo become a happier family and enjoy the simple things again like bike rides and beach vacays.
She’s the founder of Mastermind Parenting, host of the Mastermind Parenting podcast, and author of The Parent Gap. Randi works with parents across the U.S.
At Mastermind Parenting, we believe every human deserves to have a family that gets along.
Randi’s Social Links
Links & Resources
- Highly sensitive people (HSP) http://hsperson.com/about-dr-elaine-aron/
- Larry David https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARq0QDBIUaQ
- Swaddle technique from Happiest Baby on the Block https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4SnaQ1DVJM
- Randi’s email firstname.lastname@example.org if you want help with your strong willed child
Get my book!
Hear about my family history and the tools that have helped me replace old parenting patterns that simply don’t work with these puzzling kiddos. It’s my way of paying it forward as a human that wants our kids to experience a kinder and more generous world. Head over here to get your copy >> https://mastermindparenting.com/book
Thanks so much for listening to the Mastermind Parenting podcast, where we support the strong willed child and the families that love them!
If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the share button in the podcast player above.