In this episode, I discuss the documentary Screenagers and the silent addiction epidemic that we are facing as a society.
I had been wanting to attend a screening of Screenagers and was coincidentally invited to be a panelist at a private school in my home city. Needless to say, I had a pit in my stomach as I watched the reality of what we are facing in terms of screen addiction and how it affects our kids and ourselves, frankly.
The documentary validates much of what I teach when it comes to looking for a quick pleasure fix in the form of a screen. The movie includes the latest research in neuroscience and how screens affect our dopamine receptors in the same way as hard drugs. When our kids grow up on screens, we are literally hardwiring them for drug addiction. Super scary.
I happen to love technology myself. It’s the reason why I can create a podcast and share it with you. I struggle with many of the issues mentioned in the film and I think that what many of us can take away from the film and the subsequent conversation is that we are entering uncharted territory. Rules and regulations are needed and right now we are educating, increasing awareness and beginning the conversations that must happen to keep our kids safe in this new virtual reality surrounding childhood.
I share my thoughts on how to handle adopting tech rules in your household as well as how to conduct a productive conversation with your kids about this. And as always remember that whether it’s technology, sleep, food, school work or whatever the subject concerning your family, the steps are to:
- Adopt a set of rules
- Repeat them often
- Follow through consistently.
Technology rules that are productively communicated is a great example of how to set your family up for success rather than constant fighting and stress surrounding this very present modern issue.
- Screenagers documentary https://www.screenagersmovie.com/
- Screen addiction https://nypost.com/2017/12/04/heres-how-to-tell-if-your-child-has-a-screen-addiction/
- Dopamine and screen addiction http://yourbrainhealth.com.au/dopamine-cause-digital-addiction/
- Glow Kids: How Screen Addiction is Hijacking Our Kids-and How to Break the Trance book quote: “Brain imaging research is showing that stimulating glowing screens are as dopaminergic (dopamine activating) to the brain's pleasure center as sex. And a growing mountain of clinical research correlates screen tech with disorders like ADHD, addiction, anxiety, depression, increased aggression, and even psychosis. Most shocking of all, recent brain imaging studies conclusively show that excessive screen exposure can neurologically damage a young person's developing brain in the same way that cocaine addiction can.
Get my book!
Hear about my family history and the tools that have helped me replace old parenting patterns that simply don’t work with these puzzling kiddos. It's my way of paying it forward as a human that wants our kids to experience a kinder and more generous world. Head over here to get your copy >> https://mastermindparenting.com/book
Apply for Free Coaching!
If you would like to be coached on one of Randi's upcoming podcast episodes, apply here.
Thanks for listening!
Thanks so much for listening to our podcast! If you enjoyed this episode and think that others could benefit from listening, please share it using the social media buttons on this page.
Do you have some feedback or questions about this episode? Leave a note in the comment section below!
Subscribe to the podcast
If you would like to get automatic updates of new podcast episodes, you can subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or Stitcher. You can also subscribe from the podcast app on your mobile device.
Leave us an iTunes review
Ratings and reviews from our listeners are extremely valuable to us and greatly appreciated. They help our podcast rank higher on iTunes, which exposes our show to more awesome listeners like you. If you have a minute, please leave an honest review on itunes